Ministry of Truth
- Alternative fact: We barely “vet” refugees before they arrive and don’t know who they are.
- Actual fact: The current process includes at least 20 steps, vetting by the UN and the US, and thorough investigation.
- Here’s a personal account of a person that “vetted” refugees: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/01/refugees-are-already-vigorously-vetted-i-know-because-i-vetted-them/
- Alternative fact: Immigration brings crime, immigrants more likely to commit crimes.
- Actual fact: Immigrants are less likely, on average, to commit crimes than native-born citizens. Cities with more immigrants also have lower crime rates than cities with fewer immigrants.
- Alternative fact: Banks aren’t lending money to businesses, especially Trump’s “friends.”
- Actual fact: Lending has increased 6% since 2013, Trump’s well-known business friends have literally received loans in the last month.
- Alternative fact: Trump no longer has a conflict of interest with his business interests and his duties as president.
- Actual fact: The conflict of interest is easy to demonstrate and he is still entangled in his businesses.
- Current state of Muslim Ban
- The Rise of the Scientists!
- Trump already faces more than 50 lawsuits
- The New Opposition
- Text of State Department “Dissent” memo
- It appears Trump is not completely reading the executive orders before he signs them and is not fully aware of what the policies he is authorizing say.
- How our language is failing us
- A new weekly newsletter promoting dialogue between liberals and conservatives
- The Reuters Way
- Trump at odds with Republicans over treatment of our allies
- Interesting perspective on how media and pundits skew protest coverage
- 50 things that have already happened in two and a half weeks….ugh
- Call in and thank your Senators and Representatives that are resisting Trump
- Don’t just call or write letters when you are angry, but make sure to send a clear message to those politicians resisting: We are thankful for you standing up to Trump’s agenda and will vote for you to continue to resist. Currently Senate Democrats are upping their game and putting a wrench in the cogs of the Senate.
- Your hardwork and raised voices are having an effect! Keep it up!
- Please Take Care of Yourself and Others
- Call congress to ask them to constrain Steve Bannon’s influence on the White House
- Advice for social workers resisting President Donald
- How to Stay Outraged without losing your mind
- We’re in for the long haul people. Burnout and compassion fatigue are inevitable. Consider what you can do to keep yourself in the fight.
- SPLC Petition against Steve Bannon’s White House influence
- Register for Obamacare
- Neutralizing “Dangerous Speech”
- How to convince someone when facts fail
- Michael Shermer shares useful information from his work as a psychologist who debunks conspiracy theories and pseudoscience
- Building movements
- Understanding women that voted for Trump
- A different perspective on “culture jamming” a populist.
Inspiration and Comedic Relief
- If only the Trump presidency was a TV show…
- Is it weird that interpreting this last week’s events as if it was scripted television makes more sense than conventional political analysis?
- Bookies are giving good odds that Donald will be impeached before his first term is over…and decent odds that it will happen before the first six months!
- Even funnier, the bookies report that the bets are all going one away – against Trump!
- No one could have foreseen this!!!